The next IHS monthly continuing dental education webinar will be held two weeks from today. Dr. Mark Nichols will be presenting on dentistry and HIV/AIDS. His presentation is a collaboration between the IHS Division of Oral Health, the New Mexico AIDS Education and Training Center, the South Central AIDS Education & Training Center, and HRSA. We’re expecting full capacity on our Adobe Connect lines for this webinar, so we encourage as many as possible to gather around one computer/phone in each clinic to join in the meeting. In addition, we will ask that you complete a Participant Information Form if you are going to participate – just go to https://aetcnec.virtualforum.com/pifidform.cfm?erid=62325&sc=425163&aetccode=16 to complete this form. Following the webinar, we would also ask that you complete a special Participant Evaluation Form (in addition to the evaluation form on the Dental Portal to get CDE credit) – this form can be found at https://aetcnec.virtualforum.com/pefidform.cfm?erid=62325&sc=425163&aetccode=16. webinar details can be found below:
CE Course #: DE0101
About the Presenter: Dr. Mark Nichols is the Director of Dental Education for the South Central AIDS Education and Training Center. He is also the Dental Director of Avenue 360, Health and Wellness, an FQHC in Houston, Texas as well as Clinical Associate Professor, Adjunct at the University of Texas School of Dentistry in Houston. Dr. Nichols received a BS in Chemistry at Lamar University in Beaumont, Texas in 1978 and a Doctor of Dental Surgery degree at UTSD in Houston in 1982. For the past 30 years he has devoted his practice of dentistry to the HIV/AIDS patient and have seen at least 12,000 HIV patients in that time frame. Dr. Nichols has lectured on the topic of dental management of HIV/AIDS patients nationally and internationally since 1990, and has been the principle investigator or co-investigator on multiple clinical research projects and has published in a variety of peer-reviewed journals.
Course Summary: This presentation is part of the IHS Monthly CDE Webinar Series. Information on the live session is sent out via the IHS Dental Listserv. The webinar will also be recorded, and information on recorded webinars is also sent out each month on the IHS Dental Listserv.
The HIV/AIDS patient can present as a medically complex patient and may need special considerations for examination and for invasive procedure risks assessment. This lecture will briefly review the epidemiology and pathogenesis of HIV and the elements of the health history with special emphasis on certain aspects that related to the patient with HIV or AIDS, including oral pathology manifestations. This lecture will also review the standard of care for a HIV surgical risk assessment and discuss potential complications, as well as review the dental procedures that are routinely performed on this population.
To Join the Webinar:
- Go to https://ihs.adobeconnect.com/dentistryandhiv/
- A window should appear to “join audio conference”
- Click on the “Dial-out” feature (receive call from the meeting)
- Type in your phone number
- Click join at the bottom of the window
- Wait for the call, then press “1” to join the conference
- Mute your phone until the presenter opens up for questions from the audience
- There is no need to sign in or announce yourself
- This is an interactive call, so you may ask questions or discuss topics throughout the call
- You are encouraged to join 10-15 minutes ahead of time in case you need assistance; one the webinar begins, login assistance is not available
- If you are asked to enter a “Meeting One” room number, it is 8082919
- If for some reason the dial-out feature does not work, you may call directly into the webinar at 1 (800) 832-0736.
As with our previous monthly continuing dental education webinars, a recording will be made available approximately 5-10 days after the webinar. However, to take full advantage of this CDE opportunity, we encourage everyone to participate in the live session on May 24th. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Upon completion of this webinar, participants will be able to:
- Review the elements of a health history and identify 3 components with specific application to the HIV patient;
- Review the standard of care for an HIV/AIDS invasive risk assessment; and
- Discuss 3 dental procedures performed on HIV patients and discuss any indications or contraindications, and review any pharmacological contraindications.